2016 - Umpire
National Hall of Fame Member
In 1969 William “Wild Bill” Silves began his Umpire Career, adding these accomplishments under his belt:
- 4 ASA National Championships as Tournament Director
- 27+ ASA National Umpire School/Advanced Camp Instructor
- 30+ ASA National Championship UIC- Including 3 Men’s Majors and 1 Women’s Major Fastpitch
- ASA Umpire Instructor in Europe & Canada
- PAC 10 Umpire for 10 years
- 17+ Region 15 Umpires selected as ISF Umpires
- 30+ Region 15 Umpires selected as ASA Elite
In the ASA Nationals Bill was assigned the Championship game three times and the third place game in the fourth one. His commitment to finding Umpires that will succeed at the highest levels is beyond compare. He travels over 100 miles each way to watch Umpires and teach them. His dedication to ASA is second to none. He does not give Merrill Lynch advice but when Bill speaks “People Listen”. If a Tournament in our Region is short of Umpires, “Who ya gonna call”? Not Ghost Busters but instead Wild Bill. He will find them in Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Washington and even Canada to get the games covered.
Bill has announced that 2016 will be his last year as the Northwest Region UIC, as he is planning on spending more time with family. However, don’t be surprised when the 2017 Season starts and you turn around and see him standing by a backstop at one or two Tournaments in the Northwest.